My wife's sweater jacket is coming a long. I'm not spending as much time on it as I would like, but that is partially due to the increase in exercise that I have been making myself do. The exercise is effecting the progress on this project because it is my TV knitting. I was at the hair salon the other day and when the young lady was finished and showed me the results for my "approval", I noticed that the bottom of my face looked fat, at least to me. This has encouraged me to increase the amount of time I spend on the tread mill. I also want to start some stomach flattening exercises, as i have a little bit of a belly.

My truck/travel knitting, the cabled mittens for my great aunt-in-law are coming along nicely. I took them to a medieval event this last weekend and got to where I'm to make the thumb opening, but had to stop, as I needed some scrap yarn, which I didn't have with me. I do have to admit that I had to change the yarn I was using on these mittens. The first yarn was a nice baby blue, with a shiny fiber running through it. I thought that it would show off the cabling nicely, and it did.

The problem was that I didn't read the yarn recommendation of worsted, and the blue yarn is closer to a fingering weight. I have to say closer, as this is some mystery yarn that I have in my stash. I went back to my stash and found the left over, partial skein of gray from the sampler scarf I made for myself, and started using that for the mittens. I'm hoping that I have enough of the yarn, but if I don't I should be able to buy another skein.

A while back I had said that I was only going to work on two projects at a time, as this would allow me to make a good amount of progress on both, and was easy to separate in to in-house knitting and travel knitting. Well after listening to a past Knit Picks podcast, where charity knitting was discussed, I decided to go and look and see what options there were out there. I found the website Knitting for Charity, which had a nice listing of charities. I was originally looking for something breast cancer related, as I am heavily involved in breast cancer charities. I saw one that was for chemo hats, and another that didn't limit the type of project, as a patient would like a shawl or scarf as much as a hat. But I found one charity that I couldn't resist. The Snuggles Project is a group that promotes making small "pads" for cats and dog in shelters. I'm starting out with a simple garter stitch pad, but I think I may do something a bit more complicated for the next one.

I had the spang class. I think it went well. It looked like the 5 students picked up the technique, even though they weren't able to finish their learner project. They all seemed genuinely interested, and were interested in me teaching other fiber classes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

microblogging and commission knitting

SCA and Christmas presents

and there is a new project in progress