vacation time again

Yea for vacation. For me vacation is a two week camping event called Pennsic. This is very similar to many of the other SCA events, but just on a larger scale. this year, due to the economy and gas prices, there was only 10,500 attendees, and we have been running close to 12,000 and 13,000.

My vacation started off with a bang. We had picked up a good friend of our, and her two kids, as they were going to ride with us. After getting most everything packed, and having dinner, I decided to clean litter one last time. As I was taking the first litter box out a small bird, a wren I believe, flew in to the house. It took us close to an hour to get the very frightened bird out of the house. At one point we had to move the cats out of the main section of the house, as two of them (Hammy and Dewi) were very interested in the bird, and one of them, Hammy, had actually caught it in mid-air and brought it down to the floor. He then didn't know what to do and let it go. The following morning we finished the packing and headed out. We stopped for the night in Morgantown, West Virginia, and arrived the campsite the following day about noon. We spent the rest of the day and most of the following day setting up camp.

There are a lot of classes offered at the war, and so on 7/31, I started taking my first class, which was ASHI CPR Pro (CPR for the Professional rescuer), which took close to 6 hours. The following day was ASHI First Aid, which due to the fact that there was only one other person taking the class, and we both have been taking first aid classes for more years that we want to count, the scheduled 6 hour class was completed in 2.5 hours. Completing these two classes allowed me to work as a Chirurgeon again, as my CPR certification lapsed back in February.

It also meant that I was able to start taking fun classes. The first of which was "Medieval Islamic clothing from head to toe". I currently dress in 14th century Irish, but I have been thinking about changing to Islamic clothing, as it is cooler for the hot Georgia summers. This was actually the only clothing class i took, even though I had planned on taking a few others. It is vacation after all, and there is no sense in forcing yourself to do something that you don't have to do.

Some of the other classes that I took include, "Teaching in the SCA", "Butter churning", "Bag cheese made easy", "Spinning silk on a drop spindal", "History of hand knitting", a mead brewers' round table, and circular sprang. I think that I only went to half of the classes that I was originally planning on going to, but I still learned several neat things.

We had to leave earlier than we normally do. One of my best friends from college was getting married on the evening of 8/8, in Maryland. While we did miss the actual ceremony, we were able to make it for the reception and enjoyed ourselves greatly.

We headed home the following day, and had a pleasant and scenic drive. We did run in to some trouble just north of Anderson, South Carolina. We were traveling down I-85 and the the passenger side tire of the trailer we were towing blew. We pulled off to the side of the road and determined that the rim was also damaged. We were able to just barely get to a store in time to get a new tire. The whole process lost us about two hours.

I did take a lot of pictures, but I still need to review them and post them to flickr. Once that is done, then I'll get a link up for review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

microblogging and commission knitting

SCA and Christmas presents

and there is a new project in progress