podcasts

I'm going to diverge from my normal topics for this post,a nd discuss the podcasts that I enjoy. I'm going to stay away from the standards for knitters, like Knit Picks', Cast On and Diva Knitting.

I listen to a few National Public Radio (NPR) podcasts. I daily listen to Marketplace. I find the commentary that they provide very insightful. I follow that up with the weekly recording of Marketplace Money. To help keep me up-to-date on the science front, I listen to Science Friday. Just so that I don't feel overburdened and heavy from all the serious stuff, I listen to Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, a humorous political quiz show. Lastly, for a bit of quirk there is This American Life.

I'm a fan of all sorts of fiction. Unfortunately, I have problem finding time to actually sit down and read. The first of such podcasts I found was Escape Pod, which plays mostly science fiction stories, but was also has created two spin-offs of Pseudopod for horror and suspense stories and PodCastle for fantasy stories. To round out the short stories, there are the podcasts Random Signal and Variant Frequencies which are not as genre specific.

For longer stories, I feel a great source is Podiobooks.com. Most of these works are read by their authors, and tend to be unpublished, or self-published books. Another great resource for novels is LibriVox. LibriVox has a much greater listing of books, and contains several classics. I have used Podiobooks.com with my podcatcher, and it has worked well. The last time I was looking at books on Librivox they didn't have the ability to download the books through a podcatcher, but I just checked, and they now offer that service. With either of these sources, I have found that while the story maybe excellent, the person reading can really turn me off the feed.

While there is a large list here, I'm lucky in the fact that I can work with headphones on, and listen to many of my podcasts there. I also listen while I do yard work, which makes cutting grass much more pleasant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

microblogging and commission knitting

SCA and Christmas presents

and there is a new project in progress